This beautiful antique silver necklace hails from the Victorian Aesthetic era. The central rectangular pendant is hand-engraved in a delightful "Japonesque" design typical of the period with a Swallow against a background of Bamboo and tall grass. A pie crust border and silver beadwork add to the charming decoration.
The pendant has a gently pillowed profile with shadow work in the recesses giving a lovely dimensional effect and the top of the pendant has a built-in double bail with heavy duty silver rolo/belcher link chain attached at each side.
A quality piece the pendant is hollow and crafted from thick gauge sterling silver so it isn't thin and flimsy. It is in beautiful antique condition with expected signs of age like light surface wear and faint scratches. There are tooling marks as expected in a hand-crafted piece but no dents or dings.
This antique beauty is a classic Victorian love token, swallows are birds that mate for life and they were closely associated with love, loyalty and peace!
MATERIALS: sterling silver
MEASUREMENTS: laid flat end to end the necklace measures 18" (46cm), the pendant section measures 1-1/8 (3cm) tall and 1-3/8" (3.5cm) across and it is 4.5mm thick.
HALLMARKS: stamped '925' on the clasp and we have acid tested to confirm sterling silver throughout
WEIGHT: 12 grams
DATE: Victorian, circa 1880
CONDITION: in excellent antique condition any dark marks are camera reflection
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking and insurance.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all items will arrive gift wrapped in a custom Mercy Madge jewellery presentation box.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150/£125. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver.