An beautiful high Victorian antique Scottish banded agate sterling silver brooch in the form of an Ouroboros (a mythical snake or serpent that swallows its own tail) representing eternity, infinity and everlasting love.
A classic love token amulet, the oval brooch is crafted in sterling silver with the snake body hand-etched in realistic detailing. The centre of the brooch set with a tube of glowing orange translucent banded agate that is cut in facets. The sweeping circular design is built up in tiers giving a fabulous open and dimensional effect that is both elegant and super stylish. Absolutely gorgeous, a striking and unusual piece of antique Scottish jewellery and a charming love token!
Snake, serpent and love knot jewellery set with Scottish gemstones was very fashionable in the 1870's at the height of the "Scottish Pebble" craze that occurred after Queen Victoria purchased Balmoral Castle in Scotland. She set a fashion trend for Scottish jewellery which became highly collectable and it still remains that way today!
MATERIALS: sterling silver
GEMSTONE: Scottish banded agate
MEASUREMENTS: 2-1/8" (5.5cm) across, 1-1/2" (4cm) tall
WEIGHT: 11.5 grams
DATE: Victorian, circa 1870
HALLMARKS: none, acid tested and verified sterling silver
CONDITION: in good antique condition with light tarnish and surface wear, there are a few shallow dings here and there as you might expect in a hollow brooch this age. The agate free of any damage and the pin back is in good working order.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique cases in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in our Mercy Madge custom made jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver, Banded Agate.