This beautiful sterling silver antique Scottish "cartwheel" brooch is in the form of a belted garter with a glowing paste citrine mounted into a crown setting in the centre. The belt and buckle motif is a recurring theme in Victorian jewellery, it symbolises strength and security.
Craftsman made in heavy gauge silver this brooch is a fairly substantial size. The circular belt area is hand-engraved and chased in a floral flourish pattern with a ribbon at the bottom that has a vacant cartouche which you could have choose to have engraved with a monogram for a personal touch. The brooch has a sturdy pin back with a t-hinge and c-clasp and will happily pin to thick fabrics and knits.
Traditionally in Scotland brooches like these are used attach the tartan "fly" to the jacket and they are worn on the shoulder by men and on the breast by women.
If you are looking for a striking antique silver accessory that will instantly lift your jackets and sweaters out of the doldrums then this impressive Scottish Victorian brooch may be the one for you!
MATERIALS: sterling silver
GEMSTONE: paste (glass) citrine
MEASUREMENTS: 2" (5cm) diameter
WEIGHT: 17 grams
DATE: Victorian, circa 1870
HALLMARKS: none, acid tested and verified as sterling silver
CONDITION: in very good condition with wear commensurate with antique age. The cartouche has worn a little smooth and there's light tarnish, surface scratches and tooling marks on the back. Minor wear to the facet edges on the glass stone under magnification but no chips or cracks. The pin back in good order fastening securely.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique cases in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in our Mercy Madge custom made jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver, Paste Citrine.