A beautiful sterling silver antique Scottish ring brooch in the form of a belted garter with an applied figural stag set in the centre. To the Victorians the beloved belt and buckle motif represented safety and security and as an amulet it bestows protection upon the wearer.
The brooch is crafted in a circular form with a cut out centre and a gently domed profile. It is aesthetically engraved in a classic Victorian pattern of fern flourishes and zig-zags. The stag is in profile and beautifully detailed.
This striking and unusual piece of antique Scottish jewellery is good for the ladies or the gents to wear on their tartans and plaids. If you are looking for that distinctive accessory that will instantly lift your winter jackets and sweaters out of the doldrums, this may be the one for you!
After Queen Victoria purchased Balmoral Castle in Scotland, she set a fashion craze for Scottish jewellery which became highly collectable and it still remains that way today!
MATERIALS: sterling silver
MEASUREMENTS: 2" (5cm) diameter
WEIGHT: 6.8 grams
DATE: Victorian, circa 1870
HALLMARKS: none, acid tested and verified as sterling silver throughout
CONDITION: in very good antique condition with the detailing still crisp and fresh, there's a little light tarnish on the back and some tooling marks. The pin back in perfect working order fastening securely.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique cases in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in our Mercy Madge custom made jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver.