Hailing from England with full hallmarks for 1896 this Victorian cuff bracelet is beautifully hand-engraved on the front in a raised floribunda rose and ivy design.
The beautiful floral motif runs along the centre of the bangle with lines of etched arrow patterns at the top and bottom. In the Victorian language of flowers the rose speaks of love and beauty and the clinging ivy of loyalty and faithfulness. Victorian jewellery is so romantic and full of symbolism, these symbolically engraved bracelets were often a treasured gift given to a sweetheart or bride from their dearly beloved.
Lovely quality in fairly thick gauge silver the bangle is a medium width and crafted on the oval with rolled edges for comfort and strength. It is hinged at one side it and it has a hidden shovel clasp with a push button at the other.
In good antique condition with light tarnish, faint surface scratches and a few minor shallow dings on the back as you might expect in a bangle style bracelet of this age. There is an hairline in the silver at the side of the hinge, it has been repaired with a reinforcing silver bar on the inside so this piece still promises plenty more years of wear and enjoyment. The clasp closes securely with a solid click. We have taken the repair into account when pricing and we have more photos and a longer video on our website at www.mercymadge.com
A gorgeous classic Victorian silver cuff bracelet with particularly lovely 3-D decoration, British hallmarks with an antique date are always an added treat too!
MATERIALS: sterling silver
MEASUREMENTS: 1" wide (3cm), inner circumference 7-1/4" (18.5cm), inner diameter 2-1/4" (5.6cm) hinge to clasp, 2" (5cm) front to back . Weight 29 grams
HALLMARKS: stamped inside front and back 'lion passant' for sterling, 'anchor' for Birmingham, front stamped with gothic 'W' date letter for 1896 and a partially obscured makers mark
DATE: Victorian, dated 1896
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in our Mercy Madge custom made jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over £150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling silver.