Lovely quality, as you might expect, this fabulous vintage Harrods of London bangle bracelet is beautifully crafted in "hard gold plated" sterling silver. Hard plating is a quality finish and it typically involves plating the silver with a deposit of at least 2 microns of gold so it is a pretty durable finish that will withstand the test of time.
Fully hallmarked for 1967 and beautifully crafted in a traditional antique design the bracelet is engraved in an English Oak leaf pattern with rope trim to the top and bottom. Oak leaves have long been a been a popular jewellery motif and they are thought to symbolise strength and loyalty.
The bangle is double walled with a gentle D-profile and crafted on the oval for comfort. It has an ridged push button clasp and a safety chain adding to the lovely decoration. It is stamped on the inside 'Excalibur' for the Excalibur Jewellery Co. of Hatton Garden, London, a British company that made jewellery exclusively for Harrods.
Classically English these floral and foliate engraved cuff bracelets spoke of love, and they have been fashionable since Victorian and Edwardian times. They were a popular jewellery milestone gift for sweethearts and wives and were often personalized with engraved names, dates and sentiments on the inside. Fabulous to find one hailing from the prestigious Harrods store too!
MATERIALS: sterling silver, gold
HALLMARKS: stamped inside the back 'Excalibur-Sterling Silver-Made in England' also 'lion passant' for sterling, and date letter 'S' for 1967. Stamped inside the front with a worn 'H.S.Ltd.' for Harrods, lion passant, date letter and 'anchor' for Birmingham. Stamped on clasp 'Hard Gold Plated' and '8'
MEASUREMENTS: 5/8" (1.8cm) wide and 7" (18cm) around the inside
WEIGHT: 33.3 grams
DATE: mid century, dated 1967
CONDITION: The bracelet is in very good vintage condition with light surface scratches as expected but no dents or dings and the hinge and clasp in perfect working order closing with a solid snap. Please see the photos and excuse any strange reflections!
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of distinctive and unique jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in our Mercy Madge custom made jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver, Gold.