A fabulous and fairly rare sterling silver bracelet that is stamped with a British design registration number and hallmarked in London in 1945.
This is quite a heavy solidly constructed bracelet with beautiful blue guilloche engraved enamel borders framing each of 7 medallion shaped panels. The centre of each of the round panels is decorated in Britannia and Tudor Rose motifs alternately. The bracelet fastens with a hidden box clasp so the design forms a continuous circle around the wrist.
The British patriotic theme along with the historic 1945 hallmarking suggest this piece might have been made to celebrate victory in 2nd World War. Britannia who is shown as a helmeted female warrior holding a trident, is the national personification of Britain (she was introduced by the Romans in the 2nd Century!). The Tudor Rose is the floral heraldic emblem of England, it takes its name and origins from the "House of Tudor" - the last ruler of the House of Tudor was Elizabeth 1st.
A fabulous top quality enamelled bracelet, steeped in history and bound to invite compliments!
MATERIALS: 925 sterling silver, enamel
MEASUREMENTS: 7-3/4" end to end (20cm), round panels 5/8" (2cm) diameter, 1.6mm thick
WEIGHT: 31 grams
HALLMARKS: each panel is stamped with a 'lion passant' for sterling and 'leopard head' for London. Also stamped with maker’s mark ‘W&S’, date letter ‘K ‘ for 1945 and design registration number ‘REG 845142’.
CONDITION: in beautiful vintage condition with little sign of wear and no loss to the enamelling, any "blips" are camera reflection. The clasp is in perfect working order and closes with a satisfying snap.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE SHIPPING on all orders worldwide, orders are despatched next business day and sent tracked and insured.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique cases in our photos are for display only, and are not included in the purchase.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver, Enamel.