This beautiful Alexander Ritchie design vintage Celtic penannular brooch is crafted in thick sterling silver in a continuous Celtic knotwork braided pattern that is a known Ritchie design used on Iona Silver, an example can seen on the Alexander Ritchie tribute website at http://www.alexander-ritchie.co.uk/ring_brooch.htm
This is a true penannular brooch, rather than a ring brooch in the penannular style. It has an open ring with a long sharp pin attached to a head that moves around the ring. To fasten, the pin is pushed through the fabric right side up, then the ring is flipped over the pin which you push through the gap. You can then rotate the ring around the pin to give your desired look.
Penannular ring brooches date back to antiquity and are a traditional and way of fastening plaids and tartans. In Scotland they are worn by both men and women, usually at the shoulder by men and on the breast by women.
If you are looking for that elegant vintage piece that will instantly lift your dark winter outfits out of the doldrums, this may be the one for you. A fabulous and feminine Scottish silver Celtic brooch and highly collectible too!
MATERIALS: Sterling silver
MEASUREMENTS: 1-1/2" (4cm) diameter, pin 2" (5cm)
WEIGHT: 11.6 grams
DATE: circa 1950, Mid-Century
HALLMARKS: stamped 'SILVER' an older British mark for sterling
CONDITION: Excellent with no flaws, the pin is still very sharp and moves freely around the ring. A timeless and elegant piece of traditional Scottish jewelry!
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- Our photographs are taken in extreme close-up to show you every tiny detail. Any flaws are greatly magnified so they won’t be nearly as noticeable to the naked eye and reflections caused by bright lighting can cast to dark spots and discoloured areas that don't exist in real life.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway, please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver.