This incredibly large Art Nouveau inspired silver locket is fully hallmarked for London in 1976 and it hangs on a quality 24" classic curb chain. This heavy substantial chain benefits from a statement sized spring ring fastener with an elegant flat profile, not only is this a sophisticated design element it is perfect if you struggle with those fiddly little necklace clasps!
Absolutely gorgeous the locket has a flat gently pillowed profile and it is beautifully decorated on the front in an engraved floral pattern with feathery etched lines. The top of the locket boasts a decorative scrolled yoke and a large V-shaped bale, lovely attention to detail!
The locket opens from the side to reveal 2 very large stations for your photos along with lilac satin liners and clear acetate covers. The original white vinyl place holders are inside too, we have never seen this type of frames before but they make perfect sense, fitting them in and out is a breeze!
Weighing in at a precious 44 grams this is super quality piece and in beautiful condition, the locket clicks tightly closed to protect those precious memories you will keep inside.
A wonderful and very elegant solid silver statement piece that would look divine over a sweater or paired with the essential black dress.
MATERIALS: sterling silver throughout
MEASUREMENTS: locket drop 2-3/4" (7cm) tall (from the top of the bale to the bottom of the locket), 1-3/4" (4.5cm) wide, 10mm deep. The photo compartment measures approx. 2"x 1-1/2" (5x4cm). The chain is 24" (61cm), 3.6mm wide, spring ring .
HALLMARKS: locket stamped on the back 'lion passant' for sterling, 'leopard head' for London, date letter 'B' for 1976 and makers mark 'FM' in a heart logo for Fred Manshaw a manufacturing jeweller that were located in Hatton Garden, London. Chain marked '925' on clasp
DATE: 1970s mid-century
WEIGHT: 44.2 grams total (locket 22.6 grams, chain 21.6 grams)
CONDITION: in very, very good vintage condition, light surface scratches and wear in keeping with age, no dents or dings and the locket snapping tightly shut. Please excuse any dark areas on the silver which, are shadowy reflections caused by the light.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only, and are not included in the purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in one of our custom Mercy Madge jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver.