You would be forgiven for imagining this beautiful sterling silver book chain necklace is a classic piece of Victorian kit but it was made in the 1960s so it is fabulous example of the Victorian revivalist jewellery that was fashionable in Britain during the 1960's and 70's.
Crafted in silky smooth sterling silver it is a longer collar length necklace comprised of alternating floral engraved and smooth pillowed panels connected together with flat oval rings embellished with silver beads. Designed to lie perfectly flat against your neck it has a large detachable ring clasp in the centre to add a pendant or a locket or not, this elegant necklace has enough presence to wear as it is. A stylish and versatile classic that you will wear forever!
MATERIALS: sterling silver throughout
DATE: 1960s, Victorian Revival
MEASUREMENTS: 19-1/4" (49cm) end to end, 10mm wide, spring ring measures 15.5mm diameter.
HALLMARKS: stamped '925' along with another obscured mark
WEIGHT: 27.7 grams
CONDITION: in very good condition with expected light wear and slight tarnish behind the links. It has a gorgeous silky vintage patina and the chain links have free movement. The ring clasp is in perfect working order, it has a spring hinge so it simply presses inward to open and springs back tightly closed.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE SHIPPING worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking & insurance.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in our Mercy Madge custom made jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over £125/$150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver.