This beautiful vintage English sterling silver bangle is by a very good maker - Deakin Francis, and bears nice clear hallmarks for the year 1962.
The bracelet is narrow and elegantly proportioned in a standard wrist size. It is engraved on front in a pretty Ivy design, a pattern beloved by the Victorians and still treasured today. The clinging Ivy speaks of fidelity and eternity and these these charming sentimental bracelets have always made for popular gifts given to sweethearts and brides.
Lovely quality the bangle is crafted on the oval with a D-profile and it is wax filled which is a construction technique seen in older hollow bangles, a bonus because it safeguards against unsightly dents and dings.
The bangle has a hinge on one side and a push button hidden shovel clasp with a decorative safety chain on the other.
Condition is very, very good with some light wear and faint surface scratches as to be expected in a 70+ year old piece. The bracelet is perfectly polished (any dark marks are shadow and reflections), no dents or dings, the engraving is still crisp and the clasp is in perfect working order.
MATERIALS: sterling silver
MEASUREMENTS: 1/4" (6.8cm) wide, internal diameter measured from hinge to clasp 2-1/2" (63cm), internal circumference 8" (20cm)
HALLMARKS: stamped inside the back and front, lion passant for sterling, anchor for Birmingham, date letter N for 1962, 'Wax Filled' and makers mark 'D&F' for Deakin Francis Ltd., a company founded in 1786 and still creating high quality jewellery today.
DATE: mid-century dated 1962
WEIGHT: 15 grams
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique cases in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver.