An exquisite antique Victorian Scottish banded agate brooch set in the centre with an carved agate cross forming the arms of a superbly detailed anchor. Brooches of this type were traditionally worn to attach tartan to the shoulder and this one is a particularly fine example.
A classic symbol of hope and faith this anchor and cross brooch is beautifully crafted in sterling silver in a ring form and set in semi-translucent agate with dramatic black, white & brown banding. The crossed anchor is beautifully engraved and has silver rope wrapped around it. It is pegged into the front of the brooch so it is raised which draws your eyes to the cut out centre and gives a fabulous open and dimensional effect that is both elegant and super stylish.
Super quality and absolutely gorgeous, this striking and unusual antique Scottish jewel has hidden meaning and is steeped in sentiment, the perfect accent piece that will invite tons of compliments!
These genuinely antique Scottish brooches are becoming very scarce. They were the height of fashion in the 1870's during the "Scottish Pebble" jewellery craze that occurred when Queen Victoria purchased Balmoral Castle in Scotland. She set a fashion trend for Scottish jewellery which became highly collectable and it still remains that way today!
MATERIALS: sterling silver
GEMSTONE: Scottish banded agate
MEASUREMENTS: 2" (5cm) diameter
WEIGHT: 16.3 grams
DATE: Victorian, circa 1870
HALLMARKS: none, acid tested and verified sterling silver
CONDITION: in excellent antique condition, the anchor is coseley fitted and doesn't move or rock, the pin back is heavy duty and in perfect working order. There is a very slight surface scuff on the agate near the bottom of the anchor which can really only be seen in our photos that are taken in extreme close-up.
At Mercy Madge we offer a carefully curated collection of antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is hand selected with you in mind and we rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique cases in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all pieces will arrive gift wrapped in our Mercy Madge custom made jewellery boxes.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over $150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver, Banded Agate.