A very interesting antique 9ct gold brooch, the cross motif along with the black and white enamelling suggest this is a mourning piece. The brooch is engraved on the back " E.C. Morgan, Class Of 1865", since this is almost certainly a womens brooch and formal education for women was in its infancy in the 1860s we have to wonder if E.C. Morgan might have been a pioneering female scholar - or was it worn to celebrate the academic achievements of a deceased male family member or friend?
Neoclassical in style the brooch is beautifully decorated with ornate chasing and black and white champleve enameling, it is a good size with a decorative gold safety chain. A wonderful solid gold high quality Victorian mourning brooch with an air of mystery surrounding it!
MATERIALS: 9ct gold throughout, tested
DATE: Victorian, circa 1860
MEASUREMENTS: 1-3/8" across and 1-1/8" top to bottom (approx. 35x30mm).
WEIGHT: 7.1 grams
HALLMARKS: None on the brooch, safety chain stamped '375'
CONDITION: Very very good condition with expected signs of age and the enameling in great shape. The pin back is sturdy with no wear to the hinge. Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, scratches and dark marks that may appear are not visible in real life.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique estate jewelry in our beautifully curated shop. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, for you. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws and fine scratches are exaggerated and aren't visible to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discolored or dark areas areas that don't exist.
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured your purchase will arrive professionally packaged in a custom Mercy Madge box, perfect for gift giving and safekeeping!
- We offer a no risk money back guarantee, details and return procedures can be found in our shop's shipping and returns section.
- Our international and domestic shipping is free and includes tracking for your peace of mind.
- We offer an interest free layaway plan on items over £100. A 20% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.