An extraordinary and absolutely beautiful very large sized rectangular locket dating from the Victorian Aesthetic period circa 1880, a unique piece!
Crafted in sterling silver and rose gold this locket ticks all the boxes for anything that you could possibly want in a high quality antique locket. Decorated in the "Japonesque" style the front is exquisitely hand-engraved in a geometric pattern. An oriental hand fan motif in the centre is outlined in rose gold and features a mountain scene engraved in grasses and a butterfly. An applied silver swallow bird embellishment is pegged into the front adding to the lovely dimensional effect.
The locket is solidly constructed in heavy gauge sterling silver with plenty of room inside for photos, it will accommodate passport sized photos or other keepsakes you might choose to keep in there. There are 2 original silver picture rings inside along with black grosgrain ribbon liners and the back has a glass photo cover. There is a very large bale at the top so this locket will happily attach to any of you favourite necklace chains.
Given age this locket is in top-notch condition and looks to have been hardly worn, any discoloured spots are camera reflections. There are light surface scratches in the silver as you would expect but no wear to the sturdy hinge and the locket closes securely. There is a spot of resin glue on the inside front which safely secures the peg that attaches the swallow to the front so you won't have to worry about it falling out.
Outstanding, a truly exquisite and versatile Victorian locket in a hard to find rectangular shape, bound to bring joy to its new owner!
MATERIALS: sterling silver, 9ct rose gold
MEASUREMENTS: Locket 2-1/4" (5.6cm) tall, 1-1/4" (3 cm) wide, 7.5mm deep
HALLMARKS: none, we have acid tested and verified that it is sterling silver & gold
ERA: Victorian, circa 1880
WEIGHT: 21 grams
CONDITION: Excellent! Please note the chain is not included.
At Mercy Madge we offer distinctive and unique antique and vintage jewellery. Each piece is carefully hand selected by us, with you in mind. We rarely come across two identical old treasures, once they are gone, they are truly gone!
- FREE DELIVERY on all orders worldwide. All orders are despatched next business day and sent with full tracking.
- RETURNS, you can return your item for a refund for any reason. Just get in touch within 3 days of receiving your order if you wish to do so.
- DISCOUNT, find special discounts and no added sales tax on our website at www.mercymadge.com
- Unless otherwise stated any antique boxes in our photos are for display only and are not included in purchase. However, do rest assured all items will arrive gift wrapped in a custom Mercy Madge jewellery presentation box.
- Our photographs are taken with a magnified macro lens to show you every tiny detail, flaws are exaggerated and aren't as noticeable to the naked eye, similarly shadows caused by studio lighting can give rise to discoloured areas that don't exist.
- We offer a free layaway plan on any item over £150. A 25% deposit will secure and reserve the item for you with the balance due in 60 days. If you would like to place an item on layaway please send us a message and we will assist in setting this up for you.
FOLLOW US for our latest antique and vintage fine jewellery:
Read our blog at https://mercymadge.com/blogs/blog
Materials: Sterling Silver, 9ct Gold.